Tuesday, September 27, 2011

News reporter for the day

I was asked to write an article showcasing a local business in Marana for the town employee newsletter. Having not really written in the news reporter style before, this was quite the learning experience and I'm excited to see how it turns out.

The business assigned to me was Alicat Scientific. I was immediately intrigued, because I've seen the building plenty of times during my drive through Marana and liked the architecture of the building. I never really understood what they did, however, so I took this assignment as an opportunity to do just that.


At first glance I thought these were all parts to the DeLorean from Back to the Future. Upon closer inspection, however, these are a line of products developed by Alicat Scientific. Alicat creates mass flow meters and mass flow controllers. Typically used during the assembly line process of manufacturing, their meters are often used in the automobile and pharmaceutical industries. They measure the air flow through a pump so that when you apply a liquid coating to a product (like a car), the air flow is able to turn the liquid into an aerosol. Otherwise, you might get uneven gobs of coating.

Alicat Scientific picked Marana because of its ideal location for transportation. It's between Phoenix and Tucson's airports, and it's next to the freeway. Oftentimes their international clients will fly in to one of these airports, and it is less than an hour's drive to get to Marana. It also helps that Marana is very business-friendly, and Alicat has noticed and appreciated that aspect of operating in the town.

Excited for when the newsletter gets published and I get to read my story next week. It's great being able to work in a place that has me involved on a creative level.

No comments:

Post a Comment